Friday, October 31, 2014

The Three Keys Part 1

I was walking down the side of the road, crunching through goat heads and broken glass scattered on the pavement when I spotted something. It was an iron key ring with three keys hanging from it, along with a lock. The three keys were made of iron, and covered in a patina of rust, but each was a different color. The first was blue, the second was red, and the third was yellow. I glanced at them curiously, wondering if any of them fit into the lock.
I gently freed the blue key and inserted into the lock. Because of the rust it went in roughly, but it did fit, so I began to turn it to open the lock.
Next thing I knew everything had gone hazy around me. I felt like I was slowly going deep into murky water. Then my consciousness faded.
When I came to I was lying on a thick, carpeted floor, and all around me were little tiny men with full beards, wearing blue cloaks. They appeared to be more in shock than I was, because they continued to just stare and not say anything.
And my only thought was these look like dwarves. And am I dreaming?
Finally, one of the dwarves came forward. He had a very long, straggling white beard and dark, penetrating eyes: “It is the guardian,” he said solemnly. “She has come at last to reconnect us all.”
“Where am I?” I said. “What is this place? And who are you?”
“My name is Alim,” he said thoughtfully, “And you are within the blue house, Center of All Knowledge.”
“I don't understand,” I replied. “How did I get here? And where is this place?”
He puffed away at the pipe in his hands: “We are very familiar with you my dear, but only you know the path that leads into the Blue House and back out into the world.”
“So you don't know the way back out?” I stated somewhat alarmed.
“All I can tell you,” he responded cryptically, “Is that you must connect all before the twisting maze becomes clear and you can depart.”
“Surely if you know all,” I said, “You can tell me more than that.”
“The key to understanding does not derive from knowledge,” he said sagely. “It is a tool like all else. I suggest you use the tool wisely. I will show you your library if you follow me.”
I hesitantly stood up, and the dwarves around me gave way so that I could follow Alim through a blue door and down a long hallway full of doors.
“I will have to show you the way my lady,” he said. “It's a bit of a labyrinth in here I am afraid to say.”
I followed him down the twisting hall that took weird off shoots and turns in every which way. Finally he stopped in front of a door and beckoned me forward. He opened it, and stepped in.
Inside was an immense room full of shelves of books. Rows and rows upon books. In the center was a large blue couch and a coffee table, also covered with books.
“Where in the world do I start?” I murmured.
Alim replied solemnly, “On the table is what you last were pondering on. The shelves are rather disorganized I'm afraid. You were the last one to file things away, and I must say I do not understand your filing system at all.”
I walked over to the table and picked up a heavy book that was lying open. The title said The Meaning of Life. Apparently I was on page forty-five of this 500 page book.
“I guess I'd better start reading,” I faltered.
Alim nodded: “By the way, this key ring was lying beside you on the floor when you appeared. Perhaps it may help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment